To make the cake:
- 1 standard package yellow cake mix
- 1 egg
- 16 tablespoons melted Anchor butter, divided
To make the filling:
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the cake mix, egg and 8 tbsps butter and mix well with an electric mixer.
- Press the mixture into the bottom of a lightly greased 9×13 baking pan.
- Next in a bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth.
- Add the eggs, 8 tbsps butter and vanilla and beat together.
- Then, add the powdered sugar and mix well.
- Spread over cake batter and bake for 40 to 50 minutes.To get the gooey center be sure not to over bake.
- Allow the gooey butter cake to cool completely at room temperature. Dust with powdered sugar if desired.