- 1 Pound ground Hot Italian sausage
- 1 Small onion, diced
- 2 Large cloves garlic, minced
- 4 Cups chicken broth
- 2 Potatoes, scrubbed clean
- 1/2 Bunch kale, de-stemmed and roughly chopped
- 1 Cup Anchor cooking cream
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1 Pinch of red pepper flakes, optional
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Brown the sausage in a large pot over medium heat. Grain any excess grease. (Failure to do this will result in red broth from the sausage grease.)
- Add the onions and cook for about 5 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the chicken broth and cover the pot. Reduce heat to medium-low and let it simmer for about an 30 minutes.
- Slice the potatoes very thinly, about 1/8 inch thick. Bring to a gentle boil for about 15 minutes, until the potatoes are cooked through. (Fork tender but not overcooked.) Reduce heat to low.
- Pour the cooking cream into a container with a lid. Add the flour. Cover and shake until well-combined.
- Add it to the soup, increase heat to medium-high and let it thicken for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add the kale. Add a pinch of red pepper flakes. Simmer for 5 minutes and serve!