- 1/2 lb. Anchor Butter
- 2 cups Brown Sugar
- 4 Egg Yolks lightly beaten
- 1 can Condensed Milk
- 1 tsp. Lime Rind (zested)
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Essence
- 1 tsp. Almond Essence
- 1 tbsp. Baking Powder
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Crystalized Fruits (glace cherries, mixed peel) chopped
- 1/2 cup Raisins
- 1/2 cup Prunes
- 1 cup Rum (or non-alcoholic Red Wine)
- 1/2 cup Chopped Almonds
- 4 Egg Whites (beaten into stiff peaks)
One week before, marinate the crystalized fruits, raisins and prunes in rum (or non-alcoholic wine). Mix them all together and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat together the first 7 ingredients until well combined and mixture is thick and creamy.
- Sift the baking powder and flour together. Add the fruit mixture and almonds. Continue beating until mixture is smooth.
- Fold the egg whites into mixture, combine well.
- Pour batter into a 10″ baking pan and place into oven. Bake for 1 hour.
- Remove pan from oven and allow to cool. Once cooled remove from pan and decorate as desired.